This month I’m participating in a Pantry Challenge, where we are focusing on eating the foods we have on hand.
One of the foods that I store is powdered butter. It has a sealed shelf life of 5 years, and once you open it a shelf life of 9 month. That is all without refrigeration. This comes in very handy when I wanted to bake cookies today but was out of butter.
Baking with powdered butter can be a little tricky, but only because the directions on the can are somewhat lacking. I have done a lot of research and experimenting with butter powder and I am finally happy with its performance in cookies. When baking cookies I use
1 ½ c butter powder + 6 Tablespoons water = 1 Cup of butter
This yields a tender and tasty cookie.
A couple of this to know about baking with butter powder.:
- It makes baked goods a little puffier.
- Cookies don’t brown as much. So if you wait until the cookies are golden brown, they will be very overcooked.
White Chocolate Orange Dream Cookies
1 ½ cup Butter Powder mixed with 6 Tablespoons water
½ c brown sugar
½ c sugar
¼ teaspoon orange extract
2 ¼ cups flour
zest from 1 orange
½ bag white chocolate chips
3/4 teaspoon soda
1. Cream together butter (with the water), sugars, and egg.
2. Add all other ingredients and mix.
3. Drop by large round spoonful’s on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes, cookies will be very pale. Do NOT over bake.
5. Let stand on cookies sheet for 2 minutes cool before removing.