I really love breakfast, but I don’t really love mornings. Consequently my family ends up eating breakfast foods a lot for dinner. This breakfast casserole is one of our favorites. It can be make 100% from your food storage or you can supplement with some fresh ingredients. Oh and I’m pretty sure that the spinach cancels out all the calories and fat from the sausage and cheese (don’t I wish).
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Bake
6 biscuits, cooked, cooked and cut into 1" pieces
6 large eggs, beaten (3/4 cup scrambled egg mix plus 1 ½ cup water)
2 1/2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons hot sauce, or to taste
2 tablespoons Freeze Dried Onion, rehydrated and drained.
1 cup freeze dried sausage, rehydrated and drained
1 cup freeze dried spinach, rehydrated and drained
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Butter a 9 x 11- inch baking dish.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together scrambled egg mix plus water, half and half, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
3. Place biscuit pieces into pieces into prepared dish.
4. Top with spinach, onion, sausage and half of cheddar cheese. Pour egg mixture over all and top with remaining cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until casserole puffs and center of casserole is set. If top of casserole is browning too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil during baking process. Allow 8 to 10 minutes of resting time before serving.
Tip: You can rehydrate the sausage, onion and spinach all together. Place in a large bowl and cover with very hot water. Let sit about 10 minutes until sausage is fully rehydrated. Drain well.