My family loves smoothies, but during the before school rush I need the process to be streamlined. I started making Freeze Ahead Smoothies and it has worked out great.
What is Freeze Ahead Smoothie? It is all the ingredients to a smoothie frozen together in a ziplock bag. I love this because I can buy fruit on sale and in season and then freeze it for smoothies later. It only takes a few minutes to make up a ton of bags and then we are set for a couple of weeks.
Tips for success:
- When making the smoothie, if you have a dorky blender like I do, you may need to break apart the Freeze Ahead Smoothie before adding it to your blender. I leave it in the bag and break it into pieces with my hands. Since the smoothie mix was frozen flat it is easy enough to break.
- You can use whatever fruit you have on hand. I use whatever is in season, peaches, strawberries, raspberries etc.
- I use Greek yogurt but you can use whatever you have.
- You can also add protein powder, flax seed, or oatmeal to make a heartier smoothie.
- When freezing you can stack several layers of smoothies on the cookie sheet. Just make sure the outside of the bags are clean and that everything is laying flat.
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 banana, peeled
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup peaches, peeled and sliced (or whatever fruit you like)
1. In each zip lock bag place ½ a banana, ½ cup Greek yogurt, honey, and peaches. Squeeze the bag to remove any air and seal. Place the bag flat on a cookie sheet and spread it out so it lays flat. Repeat to make as many freeze a head smoothies as desired.
2. Place Freeze Ahead Smoothies in the freezer. Freeze solid, usually takes a couple of hours.
To Make a Smoothie:
- In a blender, blend the frozen contents of your peach smoothie bag with ½ cup milk or water. Blend until smooth.
Food Storage Friday Link Party