It is fall in Utah. The nights are cold, the days are lovely (okay yesterday there was some snow), and the trees are starting to turn. I love it.
One thing that fall always means is apples. Each fall I make apple sauce, store some apples in the cold storage, and make apple pie filling.
photo source: fotologic
I have my apples but I haven’t started canning them yet. They are sitting on my kitchen counter, which my kids love. Having all these apples around has made me think of all the wonderful foods that contain apples. Pie, strudel, crisp, and fritters. YUM! apple fritters.
This apple fritter recipe is EASY and delicious. The batter that surrounds the apple is pancake mix. Keep reading. It turns out that this works awesome and is easy. The pancake mix frys up beautifully and sticks well to the apple. I especially love using a whole grain pancake mix, it makes the batter substantial.
Tips for success:
- To test to see if the oil is hot enough for frying. Drop in one un-popped popcorn kernel. When the popcorn pops the oil is ready to fry with. Fish the popped corn out of the oil before starting to fry.
- When frying foods, be very careful. There is potential for burns from splattering oil, or fire from overheated or spilled oil.
- I sliced my apples into rings using an apple peeler corer slices, but you can chop the apples, or cut them into slices, whatever is easiest for you.
- I used THRIVE 6 grain pancake mix, which is a whole grain complete mix. Complete meaning it contains all the eggs, milk , and oil, you just add water. You can use any complete pancake mix.
- Don’t crowd the pan. Only put as many fritters into your pan as fit comfortably.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 apples, peeled and diced
- 3 ½ cups THRIVE 6 Grain pancake mix, any complete mix
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice or water
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg,
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Heat 1-inch vegetable oil on moderate to medium high heat. To determine if the oil is hot add a few popcorn kernels. When the popcorn pops the oil is hot.
Prepare apples, wash, core and slice into ¼ inch rings.
Mix together pancake mix and apple juice or water, season with nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla.
Working in small batches of 5 to 6 slices, coat rings of apple in batter, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until evenly golden brown. Transfer to paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.